By Kevin R. Loughlin
By way of offering either the doctor's and patient's view, this publication offers authoritative, sensible solutions for your questions about healing procedures.
Read or Download 100 Questions & Answers About Prostate Disease PDF
Similar cancer books
Songs from a Lead-Lined Room is a distinct and memorable e-book rooted honestly and uncooked adventure, and the 1st memoir to target the non-public adventure of radiation therapy. As with Shea's best-selling fiction, her sharp and insightful wit and her reporter's eye for the main telling and occasionally quirky information tell each web page.
The place do you start to seem for a contemporary, authoritative article at the prognosis or administration ofa specific malignancy? The few common onco logy textbooks are usually old-fashioned. unmarried papers in really expert journals are informative yet seldom accomplished; those are extra usually prelimi nary reviews on a truly constrained variety of sufferers.
By way of melanoma, traditional medical professionals are proficient to regard their sufferers completely with surgical procedure, radiation, and chemotherapy. those equipment are grueling ordinarily physique - and so they do not deal with past the tumor or the melanoma itself. the point of interest is at the affliction, no longer the complete individual - and thanks to this, the results in traditional medication may be bleak.
- Multiscale Cancer Modeling (Chapman & Hall CRC Mathematical & Computational Biology)
- In Vivo Imaging of Cancer Therapy
- Amino Acids, Proteins and Cancer Biochemistry
- Intestinal Polyps and Polyposis. From Genetics to Treatment and Follow-up
- Cancer Stem Cells and Self-renewal (Article)
Additional resources for 100 Questions & Answers About Prostate Disease
50. What types of laser therapy are available? Multiple types of lasers have been used throughout many areas of medical practice. In urology, several types of laser technology have been applied to the treatment of BPH. When considering whether laser therapy is appropriate for his prostate symptoms, it is important for the patient to have a thorough discussion with his urologist about the treatment options and which laser will be used and why. Not every urologist or every hospital has access to every laser that is on the market.
Electrovaporization of the prostate (TUVP) is, in a sense, a derivation of TURP. Rather than a resecting loop, the urologist uses a “roller ball” to heat and desiccate the prostate instead of actually resecting tissue (Figure 8). Electrovaporization a procedure in which electric current is used to destroy prostate tissue. Electrovaporization of the prostate has been most often applied in patients with a history of bleeding disorders or in cases in which it is desired to minimize blood loss. qxd 7/25/06 2:01 PM Page 46 100 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS ABOUT PROSTATE DISEASE (a) (b) Figure 7 (a) Formation of lesions in the prostate.
As is done with a suprapubic prostatectomy, the inner portion of the prostate is shelled out or enucleated. Because the bladder is not opened, it is not necessary to leave a suprapubic tube postoperatively, but a urethral catheter is left in place. Like a suprapubic simple prostatectomy, the patient is usually in the hospital 3 or 4 days postoperatively. In addition to the abdominal approaches described previously here, a benign prostate can be surgically approached via the perineum. The perineum is the area between the scrotum and the anus.